Friday, September 14, 2007

A plea to Gayatri

My yoga teacher used to play the Gayatri Mantra chanted by Deva Premal during class. It almost instantly became a favorite. and we vowed to memorize the mantra and sing along the next time.

We never got to sing in class. Singing, after all, takes a lot out of you. And when you're lying there in shavasana (corpse pose) at the end of a strenuous hour and a half, you don't really feel like doing anything else but feel the wooden floor through your mat and breathe.

Today, the music came back to me in the middle of the afternoon. I don't remember what triggered the memory, but it was one of those times when you just feel like singing a specific song for no reason at all. Or, at least, no conscious reason. So, there I sat in a meditative trance, singing.

Om bhur bhuvah svah
tat savitur varenyam
bhargo devasya dheemahi
dhiyo yo nah prachodayat
*

I don't know how long I sang-chanted. I was only aware of a certain energy rushing into my body. That's nothing new; I get that when my body relaxes completely. I was also aware of my voice achieving a certain clarity and richness. Nothing new there either; my voice teacher had noticed that my voice sounds better when I do yoga or any bodywork the day before. Then I started to cry.

This really isn't a crying song and this isn't the first time I cried to this song. I guess, after a while, you feel the mantra and the prayer that it is. And it becomes a plea from the soul.

"O Divine mother, our hearts are filled with darkness. Please make this darkness distant from us and promote illumination within us." *



* Mantra text and translation from http://hinduism.about.com/library/weekly/aa061003a.htm.

2 comments:

  1. Hello my friend..

    I feel for you. I really do.

    Keep on searching, finding, exploring, analyzing, assessing, exploring, discovering.

    Most of all, do that toward the love of someone or something... Doesn't have to take all the steps at once. Just the first.

    I know I'm around kinda random on SL.
    You know the only reason is RL.
    If you ever need a sounding board.
    I'm not very far away.

    Will check on you everyday. A promise I will keep *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, Opal. We haven't met and I already love you! :)

    Shavasana is magical, like interfacing with the Divine.

    But this mantra is beyond exquisite.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

I am seventeen, going on ...

In the past, August would bring a significant change in my life. This year, my real life changed in January when I started chemo treatment f...