Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Benchmarking beauty

Noni Abeyante asked the MODA Spotlight models to create a comp card. I didn't know there was such a thing until now. Apparently, it's like a mini-portfolio / business card for models.

Anyway, after looking at several examples on the web, I came up with this, which is laid out more like a magazine spread.

Opal Lei 201006 Comp Card

The hardest part of the process is choosing which pictures to include, even after limiting my choices to the ones where I'm wearing my current skin.

And the paradigm shift of the day is when I looked at old pictures and think, "Oh, my god, I'm so ugly!" even where I thought I looked drop-dead gorgeous when the picture was taken. This is the exact opposite of my reaction when I look at my old RL pictures and realize that I didn't look as bad as I thought when I was younger.

And I've come to the realization that, not only do we not own our beauty as Black says, but our perception of beauty changes, depending on who we are at that point in time. And, maybe, it is also influenced by how much control we have in how we look.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Opal:

    I think beauty is confidence + empathy. It is strength blended with softness... and therefore... ageless + timeless :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, Beauty is an image/moment/experience that, after "getting through" our personal filters, still moves us in a powerful way - perhaps making us happy, inspiring us, and/or motivating us. As we grow, our filters change.. and, thus, as we grow, our tastes changes. Sometimes we are too harsh of a self-critic.. and sometimes we are too lenient. May we all grow wiser, and find the middle ground. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I am seventeen, going on ...

In the past, August would bring a significant change in my life. This year, my real life changed in January when I started chemo treatment f...