Thursday, October 18, 2007

Pygmalion and Frankenstein

Being fiercely independent, I am irked to no end when someone does something for my "own good" without my permission, as though I don't know what's good for me. I see those people as taking my free will away from me.

I'm pretty sure I've been manipulative and controlling myself. We hate in other people what we hate in ourselves. In fact, I remember feeling frustrated because January lover would not modify his avie for me. We tend to be even more manipulative and controlling with people who are close to us, especially our lovers.

The weird thing is that, irl, we are limited to changing our lover's behavior. In SL, we move closer to Pygmalion's mythology in that we have the opportunity to change how they look as well.

The problem is, oftentimes, we are unable or unwilling to handle the monster we've created. Or we forget that there are consequences to changes we make. So the monster is released to the town, with monster and townspeople totally unprepared to deal with the other, causing chaos, fear, and loneliness.

I could say that it would be better if we directed our efforts towards changing ourselves instead of changing others. But saying so would just be another attempt by me to change you, dear reader, wouldn't it?

;)

1 comment:

  1. Hey my friend, I think you've hit the key issue of any enduring loving relationship.

    Where is that fine line between free will and accommodation?

    From my observation, it seems there are some hard boundaries where 2 people have to have the basic free will to want to be with one another without being controlled. Beyond that, accommodation seems to be a good thing in general as long as the core person is preserved and maintains enough of all their core colors and desires.

    Now stop wasting my time and make me think so much! More upper and lower case letter love dodecahedrons! Go mingle and bring stories back to us!!! (kidding, of course you know I'd rather see you happy more than anything else, even if we have no more monthly lover stories :( haha)

    ReplyDelete

I am seventeen, going on ...

In the past, August would bring a significant change in my life. This year, my real life changed in January when I started chemo treatment f...